Monday, August 16, 2010

Birthdays to spare!

We have so many birthdays around us for the month of August!  And you know what that means....birthday cakes!  Or in my case....Birthday Cupcake Cakes!

Adam's father, Tony, had a birthday last week, but we are waiting to celebrate with Adam's family until they get back into town (which is today).  Adam's birthday is this week.  Our friends Corey Smith and Eric Meadows birthdays are both this week as well....So needless to say...I've made alot of cupcakes this month!  It's very exciting to have an excuse to try out new designs!


 For the boys, I made a sports cake.  It is mostly a golf course, with a small football field lining the front of the course. I made 4 golf balls for the course (even though this cake was only for 3 birthday boys) because I figured if these three guys got together to play golf...they'd probably invite Chad Griffith along...so he got a ball too :-)

 
 We spent Sunday afternoon and evening in Pittsburgh watching a movie, eating dinner and playing games at Dave & Busters, and practicing death-defying feats of traffic acts inbetween here and there.  We got to eat our cupcakes for dessert and then posed for a ridiculously strange drawing of the group to remember this joyous occassion. 


We told the artist not to quit his day job....Although, my eyebrows have never looked so good!

Saturday, when I was decorating the cupcakes, I also made Tony Etris' cake.  Tony is an amazingly talented artist.  He does murals and caricatures (sp?) and is just an all around talented man.  To honor Tony, I attempted to do "Starry Nights" by Vincent Van Gogh in cupcakes.  I think it turned out pretty good!


Luckily, the hardest part of this cake was mixing the icing.  Once I got those to the right colors, the rest was just a bunch of swirls.  Here are a couple of pictures to show the process. 



Step One : Mix the icing colors


Step Two : Flatten the cupcakes to make a canvas (cookies inbetween).


Step Three : Outline the major parts in the correct colors


Step Four : Fill in with mixes of icing colors


Step Five : Swirl it all together with toothpicks!

Piece of cake!  Or should I say, cupcake!
I had a really fun time making these and an even better time eating them! 

Now it back to focusing on studying for my PMP exam coming up on the 28th!  Hopefully I can reign in my "management skills" and pass this thing.  I did find a Bible verse that I feel is an appropriate guideline to the type of Manager I aspire to be:
  Titus 1:7-9
    "Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless--not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkeness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain.  Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.  He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."

I challenge you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter