Saturday, June 23, 2012

The story of squatters

Yes, I remembered to post. We'll have to thank the alarm on my phone for that one. 

So, the past couple of months, I've been a "frequent flyer" of the restrooms here at work.  Only natural , in my current situation.  During my "travels", I've noticed a few odd things going on in the restrooms. 

First--Phone calls.  No--not me.  Other women purposefully walk into the restroom, dial a number, and either pace back and forth in the restroom while chatting or park themselves in a stall and chat away.  I'm never sure what to do when this happens.  Can I let loose and let whatever happens, happen?  I mean--it is the bathroom!  Should I not flush the toilet?  It's like a jet engine it's so loud.  Does the other person know that their friend is talking to them in a public restroom?  So many questions--no real answers.  One of my friends here says she tries to make as many inappropriate noises as possible to hopefully force them out.  I'm not sure how to handle this situation except to get in and out as quickly as possible and pretend like it's not really weird that they are doing this.

Second--teeth brushing.  Now, I've been that person a few times, within reason.  I have a dentist appointment around lunch time or in the afternoon, so I try to remove any food that might have gotten into my teeth that day before I head over to my appointment.  I keep a toothbrush at my desk for this reason--and just in case I have really stinky food, or end up barfing (which hasn't happened at work so far, so I'm probably in the clear there).  I don't think that this is an unreasonable action.  What I DO think is unreasonable is people brushing their teeth WHILE using the restroom.  That's right.  It's happening in the stalls.  How long are they needing to brush for?  Did they have caramel for breakfast?  Popcorn perhaps?  And what about the men?  I have heard complaints from my developers that they have walked in and guys are standing at the urinal, using it, and brushing their teeth at the same time.  WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT??  People are either working way too much that they have to budget their time in the bathroom so tightly they they must cram many activities into a short amount of time....or they are just really weird.  It's a toss up.

Ok--lastly--the Squatters.  This is my term for what happens most frequently here at Mylan.  I sometimes use a bathroom break as a small mental break from what's going on at work.  I can go in, take a deep breath, use the restroom, take my time washing my hands, and then take the long way back to my desk.  It gives me a time to refocus on what I'm doing.  Some people are using the bathroom as a break room.  Now, there are extra chairs in one of the bathrooms.  I mostly see gym bags sitting on them when people are changing to go work out.  These chairs are not where people are taking their break.  They are sitting in the stall, quietly, trying not to be noticed.  It's always either in the very last stall, or the very first stall.  They don't want to be bothered.  If I go in and notice one of those doors closed and no noise in the room, I know I am disrupting either a nap or a long mental break, so I know that they will be listening to everything that happens while I'm in there...which encourages me to be swift.  The squatters are frequent.  People must be working way too hard if the only place they find comforting enough to make it through the day is a bathroom stall.  Either that, or people have some serious bowel problems that cause long stints in the bathroom. 

On a more personal note, this week has been very relaxing for me.  Other than Adam's softball game Monday night, I have been able to spend every evening this week at home.  It either means I'm getting lazy, or smart.  I haven't decided.  I'm definitely physically tired by the end of the work day, so putting my feet up and just chillin' has been really nice.  I will need to start accomplishing things though if this break continues.  There are lots of things to do around the house and to keep my Pampered Chef business on track.  We're on worship this weekend at the church, so that will keep me plenty busy for this coming weekend.  Of course, the only bad thing about all of this is that we are eating out every day.  I just don't have the energy to make dinner.  Adam has been really great to pick up food for us, so I'm going to have to adjust our budget a little bit if we continue to do this. 

So wrapping up--I'm getting rest and lots of interesting things happen at Mylan.  Here's a couple of pics of what I did to my boss's office for his birthday last month.  He loved it.  Brownie points for me :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter