Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving

I was lucky enough to be able to travel to Memphis for Thanksgiving to see my family this year.  Adam and I were intrigued with the trip because my grandmother sent us a GPS device and we wanted to see if it worked accurately.  We were very pleased and found lots of fun uses for it along the way.  It was also neat to see if my way was the fastest :-)  On our way home, we got stuck on I-65 north in Kentucky.  The traffic was at a stand still and we were bummed that our trip home would take even longer.  I saw that an exit was just 200 or so yards away, so I started pressing buttons on the GPS and saw the "Detour" button.  We thought, "why not?", pressed it, and followed it off of the nearest exit.  It took us through Kentucky on the scenic route...all the I-64 headed towards West Virginia.  We only lost about 15 minutes time (probably from sitting still before we becamse adventurous)!  Adam saw a post online from a friend of ours that had gotten stuck in the same place-but with no GPS.  She said she only moved 3 miles in 1 hour, and that the jam lasted over 4 miles on the northbound side.  Thank the Lord for Memaw giving us that GPS!  It saved our trip!

While we were in Memphis, I got to see a couple of my friends, go bowling, go shopping, and see family.  We had Thanksgiving Lunch with my Father's family at my cousin's house and had a chance to talk with her new husband about the church that they have become a part of in town.  It's a very contemporary service that intertwines the arts with the service-sounds like something Adam and I would enjoy :-)  After that, it was off to my Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner with my Mother's side of the family.  Needless to say...we ate alot!  I had the chance to make some "cake balls" that I took to both familys' houses.  They turned out pretty good and gave us something to nibble on throughout the week.  We also got to spend alot of time with my niece, Ruth.  She is 20 months old and has the most wonderful personality :-)  We were trying to teach her our names while we were there so she'll remember us when we skype with Lawson, Alison, and her.  My name is "ni ni" and Adam's name came out sounding like "dum-dum"!  Hilarious.  Spending time with her made us realize how great having kids can be.  We're very much looking forward to our friends having their babies so we can play with them and teach them strange things :-)

Having so much fun with Ruth, we couldn't help but snap videos and pictures all the time we were around her.  I noticed that that's pretty much all we have pictures of, so here are a few of my favorites:

1. Ruth is playing with an App my brother has installed on his iPad (is that what it's called??).  It has lots of different children's songs that have interactive pictures on the screen for her to push buttons and see reactions on.  This one happened to be a hot air balloon with animal shaped balloons floating around, that you could touch and they would pop.  Adam had alot of fun with it too :-)




2. This one was us playing in the game room at Lawson's house.  Ruth thinks Adam is funny too...



3. Here's a picture of my Memaw and Grand'dad with Ruth.  Evidentally Ruth was playing dead....they were trying to pick her up and she went limp!



4. Here's Ruth squatting...she would walkaround the room and then turn around and do this squatting thing.  We thought she was pooping...turned out to just be gas :-)


5. Here's Ruth saying "All Gone" that Adam taught her from the App.



6. And last but not least, here's the picture that is above my parent's fireplace...wow...


So all in all, it was a good trip home, and now it's nice to be back and get back into the rhythm of regular life.  Bring on the snow, baby!

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday Ruth went into the computer room, and said very clearly: "A - dum, Ni-ni". I think she wanted to do a video chat. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter